Most of us don’t have any idea about how to build a pulling garden tractor or if is it even ever possible to make one with a garden tractor! Well, if you’re reading this, surely you will be one of the luckiest ones to know about the incredible process.
Tractor pulls are so valuable to business and a great source of advertising. Following some modification or improvements, you can easily turn a garden tractor into a pulling tractor. And for that, you may need to modify the engine, upgrade wheels and tires, etc. We will be discussing all the tips and tricks below. Blow an eye over the article to know it all!
- Garden Tractor and Pulling Tractor
- The Big Plan is to build a pulling garden tractor
- What would you need to build a pulling tractor?
- Building a pulling garden tractor
Some Garden Tractor Pulling Equipment
- Necessary safety equipment (Personal)
- Safety elements for the pulling tractor
Garden Tractor and Pulling Tractor
Garden tractors are a widely used tool. In a garden tractor, you will generally find a one-cylinder or two-cylinder engine in front of the garden tractor. The frames of garden tractors are often similar to the ones of automobiles. Also, the axles are typically made of steel.
Where the pulling tractors are made for mainly pulling weight quickly, they are essentially modified work tractors. According to Engine Builder Magazine, pulling tractors race against others to find out which can pull a weighted sled fastest.
Also, see more about gas-vs-electric-lawn-mower
The Big Plan to build a pulling garden tractor
To build a garden-pulling tractor, you need to have proper planning. Here are some important things that you will need to define by yourself before the process-
- The budget to build one
- Number of pulls you want to run the tractor in
- The distance you are willing to travel.
- The scope of your project
Remember the expense of your project depends on how much modification you will be made to your garden tractor. You will need to spread your resources cautiously to your project. Instead of spending all the resources into building the most strong and most powerful pulling tractor, you may extend it from travel expenses to completely building or repairing the tractor.
Pulling tractors can be used with modified diesel or by gasoline or alcohol. However, most of them use modified diesel engines. Please secure the financing and commitments from the people who will help you with the project.
If you can’t afford the finance, you may approach financial institutions to get the funding for the project. Also, if you need anyone for the job, e.g. building or operating the pulling tractor, make sure they commit to completing the project according to the schedule.
What would you need to build a pulling tractor?
- New or old garden tractor
- Garden tractor pulling engines
- Good-performance clutch and gears
- Paints and accessories
Building a pulling garden tractor
Building a garden tractor pulling is not difficult at all. Here are some garden tractor-pulling tips for you-
- First of all, focus on finding a garden tractor with the proper powertrain. Find a good working one with a good engine, transmission, and axels. Remember that it is not that important to begin the process with a brand-new one because the tractor is going to be modified and custom-built. You just need the tractor which will serve as your starting point. You may already have one tractor in your possession; if not, you can always contact sources like consult printed, online classified ads, or even pullers or farmers. You can always find used garden-pulling tractors for sale in advertisements or websites.
- Now rebuild the engine of the tractor. Here focus on the performance parts, especially the aluminum engine blocks, valve heads, turbocharges, and the racing fuel delivery system. It is important to be specific about which class of tractor you are building. Because they can vary based upon the class, also remember the tiny and integral parts of the engine. There are such parts as hoses, gaskets, or engine lubricants. These help to handle horsepower.
- Next, adjust the clutch and the transmission’s gear. By this, you may put up improved output from the engine. Through the clutch, it offers the transmission to shift gears. And you can substitute it by a double or triple disc clutch. This will save the clutch from breaking especially when the driver changes its gear. You can maintain the structural integrity under pressure by simply replacing the factory issued gears with high-performance tested titanium or aluminium gears.
- Modify the wheels and tires of the tractor. According to the experts, the pull the best with high-performance when the rear tires of the tractor bear most of the weight and on the other hand, the front tires barely touch the field. The specification of the wheels and tires may vary based on which type of tractor you are building. To choose the better tires, focus on which allows it to pull most weight quickly and also not lose connection with the racetrack.
- Certify it if it is mechanically sound. After that, enhance it with paint and accessories. And put the sign of your business in it if necessary because it may roar down the racetrack and represent your business. You can use anything that may ensure a good impression of your tractor.
Following the garden tractor-pulling rules, you are surely good to go!
Also, see more about Bradley-mower-reviews
Some Garden Tractor Pulling Equipment
Just the pulling tractor is not enough at all. When you are entering the sport of pulling a tractor, you should follow some other things too.
Necessary safety equipment (Personal)
Helmet- It is must to wear a helmet for your personal safety. Whether the clubs need it or not.
Sport boots- Protect your feet by using leather boots.
Jacket- It can always get risky at any time. Wear the jacket always.
Fire pants- Fire pants are so important to put up to get rid of an unexpected fire.
Gloves- Gloves are one of the most necessary things of the list.
Fire extinguisher- Keep a fire extinguisher with you always for anything unexpected.
Safety elements for the pulling tractor
Wheelie Bars- This safety device helps the tractor from tipping backwards. It is generally mounted on the rear of the tractor.
Kill switch for shutdown- There may the tractor unexpectedly become disconnected from its sled. It will allow to remote shutdown.
Pulling tires- Pulling tires are also important for the safety of your tractor.
Can a garden tractor pull?
Yes, a garden tractor can pull. They are designed for towing small to medium-sized loads such as trailers, carts, and attachments. However, the amount of weight they can pull will depend on the size and power of the tractor.
What engines do pulling tractors use?
Pulling tractors typically use high-performance diesel engines, often modified and turbocharged for increased power and torque.
How much weight can a tractor lift?
The weight a tractor can lift depends on its size and capacity. Small tractors may raise a few hundred pounds, while larger tractors designed for heavy-duty work can lift several tons.
The Bottom Line
Hope this article will help you building one by your choice. We know it may look difficult process for you. But it will come out really easy when you will use it practically.
Many things didn’t come up in this short article. Please let us know if you face any problem or any type of question regarding this in the comment box. We will look forward to it!